Monday, November 16, 2009

Sewing Frenzy

You might think the above to be an odd title when you take into consideration ...well, me! I don't sew. Other than the simple aprons my mom taught me to do for YW back in the day I've never really sewn anything. But somthing revolutionary has happened within the year and I've really starting taking an interest in the hobby. I finally have a desire to learn and am very anxious to learn how to do all these cute things I see - beacause I look at them and think "that doesn't look too difficult - I think I could pull that off". So I've taken upon myself a few projects: sewing some curtains for Vanna's room (with the help of my mom) and sewing some curtains for my dining room and family room (with the help of my wonderful neighbor). But just recently (again with the help of a very dear and talented friend - ANN) I accomplished the following:

New hooded towels for the kids.And my very first quilt! It turned out SOOO cute too. I made it for my ex-sister-in-law (I guess that's how I can identify her but she's still a great friend) and her new baby girl - Brooklynn. I liked it so much it was actually hard to part with. I guess I'll just have to make one for Vanna now too. The front was all different styles of flannel and the back was that super soft minky kind of stuff (I don't even know the name of it). Anyway, I'm so glad I started out with a baby quilt because I saw a finished product much sooner than if I had taken on a full fledged queen quilt. I was just happy I didn't ruin it and that it turned out. Thanks again to my great friend for all her teaching and help!

So I know what to ask Santa for Christmas next year - a sewing machine of my own (that sounds like a long ways off I know but we already got our Christmas this year-darn it). I can't wait to get started on more fun projects.

7 comments:

Shauna said...

So cute! Looks very good for a beginner!

Amy S said...

YAY! I am glad I am not the only one new to this sewing business. I love the quilt its darling. You will have to post the instructions for the hooded towels. They are the best. Great job!

Suzie-Q said...

that is how I started too! sewing has became a great hobby for me. Now I just wish I had more room to leave the projects out that I'm working on so io don't have to try and remember what I'm doing when I go back to finish it.

I can't wait to see what else you have been working on!

Darci and Ryan said...

Way to go! They turned out great!

Marcy M Miller said...

Good Job- that turned out great. I love the hooded towels- they are the best thing to use after a bath.

Camille said...

That was your very first quilt?? I don't believe you!

I am so impressed!

Unknown said...

So cute!! Way to go! That quilt is so adorable! And i love the towels. Glad you are enjoying it!