Friday, October 28, 2011

Thirty Weeks

Well, we just keep plugging away and already two weeks has gone by since our last Dr.'s appointment.  As soon as my mom heard our last news, she headed up here to stay for a week and boy did she keep busy in that week.  She knows how I am - likes a clean house, always has projects to be done, etc. - probably because I'm so much like her.  She did my windows, my base-boards, helped me better organize my garage, clean out my stove and above all the kitchen cabinets, cook meals to put in the freezer, play with/take care of the kids...I mean she's just amazing...and that's not even all of it!  I hope she knows what a blessing it is to have her in my life.  I'm so grateful for her help, her support, her undconditional love, her sacrifices for me - I don't know what I'd do without her. 

And if that's not enough, she then took my kids home with her.  After a lot of thought, Ty and I decided it would be best for our baby girl, if the kids went to spend some time with Grandmas and Grandpas to try to help prevent me from doing too much and to allow me to be on the bestrest that I need.  We are so grateful my parents and Ty's were willing to go along with this plan and offer their help.  The kids will actually be gone until Thanksgiving - spending one week with my parents, one week with Ty's parents, and back and forth for four weeks.  Wow - what a long time!  I've never been apart from them much - we're used to spending all day everyday together.  It's been very emotional for me to have my kids gone.  The day they left, I just sat in their bedroom staring out the window, for I don't know how long, at the place I last saw them pull out of the driveway with my mom and sobbed.  It's still hard to talk about them being gone without breaking down and it's hard to hang up the phone each night after talking with them.  What is especially hard is to hear the sadness in their voices in our phone conversations, as they occasionally struggle with a bit of homesickness and missing us.  Oh how we miss them too - the time seems to pass so slowly and quietly by with them gone.  I have to remember that this time will seem short one day, when we look back on all of this but for now it is hard. 

Ty and the kids were able to go pick out pumpkins and we got some pumpkin carving in before the kids left.  We won't have them for Halloween and wanted to share in this at least with them.  We love hearing of their excitement for the holiday and can't wait to see pictures of them in their costumes!

Cash loves to do creepy ones so his is the scary/mean faced one.  Vanna loves kitties so that's what she got.  After gutting the pumpkins out and while Ty was working on Vanna's, he looked over at Cash who was "helping" and he was putting all the seeds back into his pumpkin. :)  Ahh, kids.  And Cash had to keep several pumpkin seeds cuz he hopes to plant them in our garden.  He's fascinated with seeds right now.  The other day we ate plums with our lunch adn he collected everyone's seeds and then ran out to the backyard.  He returned a minute later to report that he'd planted the plum seeds and can't wait until we see a plum tree growing. :)

Although it's been difficult, I am glad to report good news and that is that our baby girl seems to be doing very well.  She is healthy and growing wonderfully and we are just taking as many steps and precautions we can to help continue doing just that. 

We had another ultrasound which showed my cervix had not thinned any further and the doctor is hopeful that with continued bedrest (the less gravity on my cervix, the better) we can prevent too much thinning too early and keep our baby girl in the best incubater possible - me :).  The ultrasound did show I was low on amniotic fluid (not a critical low that can cause stress on the baby, but a low we need to keep an eye on and make changes for) most likely caused by some medication I was on to help prevent contractions and reduce pain/pressure - a possible side effect was that it could cause a decrease in fluid levels BUT fluids usually go right back up once you're taken off the medication, so I was taken off it, put on other medication (that is more for just helping with the contractions) and another ultrasound was ordered two weeks out where we'll hopefully find fluid levels back up and normal.   I will continue my weekly shots for hydroxyprogesterone in an effort to help with my cervix and today I got my first steroid shot (which helps with aiding the development of the baby's lungs should she come early).   Whew!  

My mom with the kids just before they left.  They each wanted to take their bears (and a lot of other toys too but we talked them into taking one thing and reminded them that their Grandmas and Grandpas have toys of their own they can play with :)

Our little heart-throb!  Cash is SUCH a sweet boy and we miss his energy and vigor for life/play in our home.  His smile brightens every day and we can't wait to have him home again soon.

What a sweetheart!  When we call her sweetheart, or princess, pumpkin or any of her other nicknames, Vanna will respond, "I not a sweetheart, I Vanna".  She is going to be a princess (a pumpkin princess in fact - perfect!) for Halloween so we'll have to remind her that she is indeed our little pumpkin and our little princess!

We continue to try and be prepared as best we can for whatever the future holds but we feel very blessed to have made it this far and really feel that things will work out and be fine.  We are praying and so appreciate all your encouraging words, thoughts and prayers on our behalf as well!

Side Note:  I just have to record this funny experience as well - When I went in for this last ultrasound, the woman performing it walked in and said, "So what's the deal with your kidney stones?"  I responded, "I wasn't aware I had any."  She just laughed and said, "There must be some mistake on my forms, cuz you'd know if you had them."  It turns out that on the Dr.'s ultrasound request form, he had circled 'incompetent cervix' as the reason for the request but the receptionist setting up the appointment misread it and thought he's circled 'kindey stones' (which was right next to 'incompetent cervix').  Anyway, I was thinking, "Oh no, not something else!"  I was glad to find out I don't have kidney stones too! :)  Kind of funny I thought.

9 comments:

amber-girl said...

I am so happy to hear good news! I have been thinking of you everyday since your last post and hoping for the best! I am sure it is so hard to be away from your "babies". I was away from mine for one night and I was so excited to see them the next evening! Everyone said I was so lucky to get away from all my kids for a weekend, but I felt luckier when I got to come home! I am sure you feel the same. What a wonderful mother you have...and mother-in-law! I hope the next month will go by quickly for you! Take care and I will be anxiously awaiting your next update! :)

Trenton & Maren said...

Oh, Erica such a hard thing to go through right now. You are an amazing mom and are doing such a great thing for your growing baby girl. I hope this time goes quickly for you and things continue to go well with the baby. We will keep you in our prayers!

Jennie said...

I'm sorry things are so complicated for you again. I know the fear and worry. Questioning whether you are doing everything right, etc. I bet it was so hard to say bye to the kids. I pray you the time will go fast for you and you will feel peace while you help this little one grow. When things get rough, just imagine her sweet little face... it will get you through. I pray everything will go smoothly for you till you hit 37 wks! (and through delivery!)

Melinda said...

I have been so behind on reading blogs and I feel terrible that I didn't even realize you were on bed rest!! Please, is there anything I can do? I can't believe how grown up your kids look. There is NO baby left in Cash and very very little left in Vanna!

PBJKLI Ussery said...

Holy smokes!! Oh, I just wish there was something I could do to help! You guys will be in our prayers. No doubt Vanna and Cash will be loved and spoiled with Grandmas and Grandpas, but it is impossible not to ache for them while they're away. As others have said, I hope time goes by quickly and that little girl grows and grows and grows! You are one amazing woman! Love and miss you. Call anytime.
Brooklynn

Jennie said...

My email is jenniespicer@gmail.com

Zoey said...

You are so tough! I hope that things continue to go well for you, your family, and the new baby!!!

Cami Jo said...

Oh Erica!!! I can't imagine what you must be going through. I'm so glad the baby seems to be doing good, and I'm sure it's a great blessing to not have to worry about taking care of two toddlers, but how hard! I will keep your sweet family in my prayers the next few weeks, and I hope all continues to go well! Keep your spirits up, and if you are ever bored at home on bedrest....you can always call me and catch up! I still have the same Idaho number, and would love to hear from you! Good luck!

Camille said...

Oh, I am so sorry! So glad baby is doing well, but bedrest is certainly no fun at all. Especially when you can't be with your little people. Do you need me to send you something to stitch to keep you busy?

On a side note, I'm so excited to see this baby girl. Cheering for you over here!