Friday, July 24, 2009

Mini Book of Rememberance

Sorry for the book this post turned out to be but I thought I'd simply post about a couple things so that I don't forget them (and so I can use what I've learned in the future):

Vanna's First Haircut:




Yes, we gave Vanna her first hair cut this week. She got bangs, her hair trimmed throughout and we snipped quite a bit off the back. Our good friend Angie did it and says that a good haircut can really help out a baby's hair and we just figured it was time. I think she looks more grown up :( but so cute!

No, Not Passionfruit - A Passion FOR Fruit:



My kids love love love fruit! Bananas, kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, apples, peaches, mandarin oranges - you name it - they just can't get enough (except cantalope pinapple and watermelon- weird I know). Here they are devouring some delicious strawberries and making quite a mess - which always seems to go along with a scrumptious snack. It's hard to tell in the pix but I have to add too that lately Cash totes his sunglasses around on his head all day long. He says "I lika Mommy" which just means he likes to wear them like Mommy when I go into the store and move them from my face to my head while indoors. He thinks he's so grown up.

Potty Training 101:




We've really been cracka lackin on the potty training this week. Some time ago Cash seemed to have it down pretty well but then reverted when he got sick and got diareaha (sp?). So I decided to do try this quick program a friend of mine told me about and I'm so proud of Cash for doing so well. He has finally gone stinky in the toilet, he goes into the bathroom to use it himself, and wakes up from his naps completely dry. The only thing we're struggling with is his waking up in the night to go. I've been sleeping next to his bed to listen for his restlessness and try to get him up to go, but he refuses. Last night, however, he actually got out of bed himself but of course, it was after he'd wet the bed. Oh well, it's progress.

Several things I've learned:
- kids will do it on their time
- be dedicated - you have to make it your priority- you don't go anywhere or do anything but pay attention to your kids' cues for a week or however long it takes - but it doesn't have to be a long drawn out process, kids can be successful in a short amount of time
- be consistent
- be positive - it's much more encouraging for your kids to be positive all the time - even when they do have an accident (this was kind of hard for me because Cash was having a hard time learning to go #2 in the potty-very discouraging-but now he's finally getting it)
- real underwear seem to work best (at least for us) - it's easier to realize they've had an accident
- lots of drinks help the whole thing out
- I learned it's better to tell your kids to "remember to tell Mommy when you need to go potty" instead of asking them if they need to go - Cash would always just tell me "No" and then go in his underwear right after - but by having him tell me when he needs to go, he's still in control
- when you see your kids begin to have an accident you should run them to the potty and let them finish in it so that they learn the signals themselves that they need to go and that when they feel those signals, they run to the potty to go there instead of in their underwear
- a reward system works
- patience is key
I'm sure I'll learn much more (hence the 101 - maybe next time it will be 102) but we're making progress and I hope to have it this over soon. Hopefully I can remember what worked with Cash and maybe I'll find it easier with Vanna (but don't they always say "every kid is different" - we'll see). Wish me luck and throw me any of your suggestions for potty training through the night!

9 comments:

Amy S said...

Oh man, I feel your pain! Potty training is the worst. Sounds like Cash is doing pretty good though. Don't worry it will happen, at least that's what I keep telling myself. We are still working on the night training too. Good luck and if you find anything that works let me know:)

Marcy M Miller said...

Cute Hair Cut- Blyss got hers done this week as well.
How fun potty training, I'm glad he is doing bettter, it is alot of work, we have been doing Blyss for the last couple of weeks, we run into the same thing- she does great some days and other days I could pull my hair out. I still put a diaper on her through the night though, I did that with Hallee as well and eventually they figure the whole night thing out.

Melinda said...

When we started with Sammi, and she had her first big accident of the day (which we knew would happen) she was so sad to get the capri's she picked to wear that day all wet, we took her to her room to clean her up and get dry clothes and she looked at me, in tears and said "ma-mom, I think I need a diaper." And I told her "No, sweetie, you don't, you can do this, I know you can!" so the consistency and the positive-I believe in you, totally does work! We used rewards too. And I've heard that things are really different between genders too, not just personalities. We did a fast program and only stressed the potty during waking hours, but she was always dry after a nap, so we stopped using a pull up after a week. We kept a pull up on at night until she had several weeks of successful dry nights, like she just evolved into being able to hold it. We also curtailed liquids after dinner time and insisted she go before bed. Very rarely she'll get up in the middle of the night, but most times she makes it all the way through the night and then some before needing to go. So we did what Marcy did, and we just re-used the same pull up each night (since she was only in it for sleeping) so we didn't really have to buy anything. I think if dry nights become a problem much past age 4 or 5, then you could look into medical reasons or a system to help wake them from a deep sleep.

Zoey said...

Potty training woes. Miss Kate potty trained in 5 days - best kid I ever had!!!

amber-girl said...

Great advice! I am totally out of my element with Carter...Anna was so totally different!

Anna's night-time training took longer...I just figured that as long as she stayed dry during the day, that I could deal with accidents at night. We also did no drinks after dinner, and going potty right before bedtime too.

I can't wait for carter to be out of diapers! He will go all morning and into the afternoon with no accidents, but he won't pee in his potty. I think he is having a hard time learning to "go" on command, learning to use those muscles to release the pee. I think he will get that in time, so I am just waiting for the right moment to jump in and say, "No more diapers!"

Sounds like you are doing great with Cash...I need to know more details about the little "program" you got him on. :) Potty-training is such a BIG step for those little ones, so give him so much praise for being a big boy! I am so proud of him and of you too! What a great mommy you are!!!

Suzie-Q said...

Potty training is always different for everyone. I don't know who I prefer boys or girls. they both drive me crazy during the whole process. i totally agree about the real underwear though, it makes a big difference.

We are about ready to start Chloe, she is ready I just don't know If I have the time right now with a new baby, which gets to come home on Saturday YEAH!!

Trenton & Maren said...

I am starting to work on the potty with Jenna now. I'm hoping to have a tiny break before I have the baby in December. Did you have a book you read or did you hear about the program from someone else. I'd be interested in it, but I do know that being positive is definitely key. I wasn't as positive with Jace, especially with #2 messes but I'm really trying harder with Jenna to stay relaxed and be kind. Hopefully I'll get her trained before summer's over. Good luck to you, too!

Cami Jo said...

Your 101 was great! I agreed with all of it! Don't worry about Vanna. I've heard girls pick it up quicker than the boys. (This was the case for me.) At night, we still wake up McKenzie right before WE go to bed, and make her go again. Also, we limit the drinks after dinnertime. These things seemed to work for us.

Ann or Mike said...

Speaking of potty training, I saw this little boy after church out in the parking lot, it sure looked like he was potty trained. Does he take after Ty?