Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A New Favorite

It might seem early (because I know that Mother's Day isn't for another couple months still and that is most often when we reflect upon such feelings) but I feel like I was just hit with another surge of respect/love/adoration for the role of mothers. I came across the following quote again in a recent study and thought I'd share (it has fast become a new favorite):

“To be a righteous woman during the winding-up scenes on this earth, before the Second Coming of our Savior, is an especially noble calling. The righteous woman’s strength and influence today can be tenfold what it might be in more tranquil times. She has been placed here to help to enrich, to protect, and to guard the home—which is society’s basic and most noble institution. Other institutions in society may falter and even fail, but the righteous woman can help to save the home, which may be the last and only sanctuary some mortals know in the midst of storm and strife” (The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, ed. Edward L. Kimball [1982], 326–27).


I love that! And if you want to read more like it, I encourage you to read "I Am A Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. It is officially one of my favorite books of all time (and I've read it over and over)! It's uplifting, inspiring, encouraging, etc. Just as it claims, the book offers affirmation that mothers DO matter, and how important your calling is - so be proud of it!

I have to add that all you mothers are definitely inspiring to me. Your posts are likewise validating, comforting, encouraging, etc. and I'm so blessed to be associated with you! And above all, I'm so grateful for my own mother. She's taught me most everything I know (and we are so almost eerily similar because of it), I am who I am because of her, she is an amazing example, and I have the most love and respect possible for that great woman! Where would any of us be without our mothers?!

5 comments:

Marcy M Miller said...

That is defintaley a great quote!!! I having been wanting to get that book for awhile, I've heard so many people say they just love it. And you are an awesome mom!

Camille said...

What a great quote and post for today. My mom gave me that book a year or two ago and I love it too. Might have to pull it out again. Where would we be without our mothers?

Thank you, I needed this!

Suzie-Q said...

Sounds like a n awesome book. And what a Great quote!
you are a great mother and I always love the advise that you secretly give in all your posts! You are an amazing person!

Zoey said...

Amen!!! Thanks for all your posts Erica! I miss seeing you and being able to visit you. I hope that you are doing well!

Cami Jo said...

I'll have to check that book out. What a great quote. And who says it needs to be Mother's Day to speak highly of mother's??? I say people should do it everyday!!!

I'm glad Ty is feeling better, and I absolutely loved Cash's PJ's story and picture. What a funny little bum! Too cute!