Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Camping - Trial Run

We went camping with some friends this past weekend.  Believe it or not, this was not only Rosie's first camping trip, but Vanna's as well.  Does that make us bad parents - the fact that we have not been camping in 4 years!?  We finally put it in the books, made it happen, and had a great time.  It proved a good trial run for us - we have a camping family reunion coming up next week and I think we were reminded of a couple things we need to remember about camping:

1) Everything is an adventure when you're camping!

On their way to check out the river!

Couldn't believe how brave Vanna was to climb up to this tree stand.  Made me a bit nervous!
 2) When it's 100 degrees outside, it's hard to enjoy the fire...and there is no need for sleeping bags!

Cash is a little pyro!
3) You can't leave chocolate laying around just anywhere. :)  I had just set out all the s'more ingredients on the table and then turned around to see that one of our friend's kids had already snatched an entire chocolate candy bar, eating it without grahm crackers or marshmallows, lounging in his chair completely satisfied with his find!

Remember tin foil dinners? Gotta' love 'em!
4) Don't forget the pillows!  Of course I remembered to bring along the kids' pillow pets, their favorite blankets, etc., but I forgot my pillow and Ty's pillow.  Needless to say, we got even less sleep than you normally would on a camping trip - and you all know that's not much. :)

5) Dirt is the new sand (the kids were building dirt castles)!


6) The only real way to get cleaned up after camping is to get hosed down!


...and finally...

7) Camping is fun and full of memories!!!

LOVE this picture!

3 comments:

Marcy M Miller said...

When my mom told me you guys were camping Zak gave me a big nudge, he wants to go camping so bad. I am not a camper at all and haven't been since before Blyss. So good for you I'm impressed, looks like you had fun. I will give you a call tomorrow.

Amy S said...

Looks like you guys had fun! Your kids are absolutely adorable!! Love that they were building dirt castles. haha

Cami Jo said...

Oh my! I've been so behind. I loved all your posts lately. So fun. Camping is so dirty with kids, but we love it and so do they! Cute pictures. And I'm glad you put down what your baby was doing, because I always forget and wonder if my kids are where they should be developmentally! And about the chore chart. I need a really good one too! Sorry to let you down. Ours is just a row/column thing with their morning stuff on it, so I don't have to nag all morning, (Did you brush your teeth? Make your bed? Get your backpack, socks, shoes, on? Say your morning prayers, etc,etc,etc!) I love having the chart because All I have to say is "Did you fill out your whole chart yet?" When it's done, they may watch a cartoon if they have time before school, and they earn a little treat for finishing it as soon as they walk in the door after school. (Something small like a tootsie roll or something. I'm all about bribery over here....) Anyway- if you ever find a good "Chore Chart" send one MY way! I need to probably get on pinterest. I'm sure they have tons of ideas too! Anyway- your family is still darling as ever. Enjoy your calling in YW's. (Always my favorite place....) I'm sure you are amazing wherever you are called!