Sunday, November 4, 2012

Boise Temple Open House

For over a year now, the Boise, ID temple has been closed for extensive renovations.  In late September it was opened for Open House tours.  We were excited about the opportunity to take the kids to tour the temple so a couple weeks ago, on October 17th, we went as a family to the Boise Temple Open House. 
 
We had talked a lot about the importance of temples, etc. with the kids in Family Home Evenings leading up to that week and explained what a special occasion this was.  And I had been praying that the kids would behave and be reverent while in the temple so that they could feel how special and sacred the House of the Lord is.  
 
Throughout the tour, Rosie of course wanted to get down, crawl, and explore like any baby her age would but all in all she did very well.  And Cash and Vanna did just fantastic - I could not have been more pleased with them.  
 
 
 
 
After the tour, we took pictures and then went out to eat at a "nice restaurant" (which we don't always do with the kids :) and while we ate we discussed the things we saw, discussed our feelings, and again emphasized the importance of temples and the blessing they are in our lives.  It really was a special night I know I'll always remember.  And I'm grateful we had that opportunity to share in that experience with our kids.
 

When I look at this picture I get a bit teary-eyed because THIS to me is why temples are so important and why they are such a blessing - they provide the way for eternal families and for this I am incredibly grateful. 
 
We are taught that with every temple that is built on the earth, the power of Satan is decreased.  I know that there is great power in the temple.  There we learn so much and receive much knowledge that empowers me - helps put things in proper perspective and helps me focus on what's important.  When I attend the temple I also feel empowered in the way that I am better able to resist temptation.  I am grateful for the power that temples provide me personally.
 
We are also taught that temples are where Heaven meets Earth.  I am grateful for the peace I feel when I'm at the temple, for the closeness I feel to our Father in Heaven and Savior when I'm there.  These help to re-energize and strengthen me to allow me to face my challenges and all that is around us in the world today.   
 
For these reasons and more, I am eternally grateful that the gospel has been restored, that we have temples on the earth today and so near to us to attend, and that through them and the holy priesthood, we can have our families forever!

3 comments:

Marcy M Miller said...

It is such a sweet experience to take your whole family to the temple and talk about the blessings of the temple. Going to the Brigham City Temple open house was one of the best family experiences we've had this year.
Oh and those puppies are so cute! I can't believe how big Vanna's puppy is. Our little pup was the 2nd smallest so Vanna's pup looks huge!

Amy S said...

What a neat experience! Such a Beautiful family! Glad you were able to go as a family.

Dixie Bazil said...

I wish we could go as a family. I remeber the boise temple and would love to go back. Glad you guys were able to experience that wonderful feeling together as a family!