Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rosie's 1st Birthday

Although this is event has long come and gone - I have to still record for my own sake Rosalie's FIRST birthday on December 27, 2012!  The party just keeps going on at our house at that time of year - first, Christmas, then Rosie's birthday, then New Year's - it's great! 
 
A birthday is hardly a birthday without balloons right!?


As you can see, there was a ladybug theme - mostly because I thought I could actually tackle decorating a cake to look like a ladybug.  We started the evening off with Papa Murphey's.  Ever since Rosie was just a few months old, she started reaching for my pizza whenever I made it.  It was the only food she really went for in the beginning (just knowing on the crust) and she still loves it!  So we had pizza just for her! :)


Perhaps admitting this puts me to shame, but I had never attempted to make a homemade birthday cake from scratch until Rosie's 1st birthday.  I have always just used the batter from the box type.  It turned out yummy but seemed quite heavy.  I don't know if this is normal or not but maybe with more practice, I'll figure that out. Anyway, Rosie seemed to enjoy it.  In fact, once I put her in her high chair she started getting so incredibly silly (see above picture :) and hyper.  It was so fun - like she knew she was the star of the show and that this was her time to shine.





We got such a kick out of her antics!

Look what I got!
I love the above picture.  It was like Rosie knew I was taking a picture of her and she was posing perfectly.  Rosie had some help from her big sister in opening her presents.  She got a new outfit, a musical toy, and a princess ride-on toy that she loves - especially when  her brother and sister push her along on it.



Love that smile!
It was a wonderful day and what made it even better was that Grandma and Grandpa Mendenhall were still here (they had come up to enjoy the Christmas holiday with us) to join in on the celebration.  We are so grateful for grandparents that always show their love and never forget to remember these kids on their birthdays.  And we are so grateful for the ray of sunshine that Rosie is our lives.  She is absolutely adored by all who know her and by no one more than her mom.  She is simply so sweet and we just love her to pieces!

3 comments:

Zoey said...

Homemade cakes are much heavier than box cakes. I think that's by design, because if you put fondant on a box cake mix, it would just squish it.

Marcy M Miller said...

How cute!!! She is such a darling little girl. Tell Vanna Happy Birthday next week for us!

Shauna said...

She is so cute, I love the lady bug theme :)