Thursday, September 24, 2009

Just Wanted To Share

There were two women who were asked to share their own stories of "sweet assurance" during the Time Out For Women conference. Both were moving, but this Sister from Sweet, Idaho has dealt with some pretty amazing things and come out SO strong! I was amazed as she stood in front of more than 1,000 of us women and didn't choke up once as she bravely read her totally inspirational story. I, on the other hand, was having a hard time controlling my tears, especially as they projected family photos of Emily with her husband and 4 daughters and then the picture that is shown below. I hope that I can remember her courage especially during my own difficulties and know that Heavenly Father loves me no matter what.

A Sweet Assurance of Life
September 14, 2009
By Emily Coburn Sweet, ID - Shared at the Boise TOFW


I have sweet assurance because I know I have a purpose. Heavenly Father wants me to receive eternal happiness. He loves me enough to allow me to face trails and challenges that are especially designed for me to grow spiritually and fulfill my divine purpose.


One beautiful Saturday morning in May of 2008, my husband and 3 of our 4 daughters were headed to our local cemetery for a community clean-up. Little did we know that a week later 3 of them would be laid to rest in that same cemetery. Less than a mile from my home, an oncoming loose trailer collided with my husband’s truck and he was forced off the road and down into a creek swollen from winter runoff. My husband and two of my daughters, one 8 and one 4 years old did not survive. My 6 year old daughter did survive even after being submerged under water for approx 40 minutes. According to doctors, she should not be here. But she is, and it was through the tender mercy of our loving Heavenly Father. Looking at her gives me hope and reassures me that the Lord is in control of all things. He knows me personally and what it will take to make me better, stronger, and more faithful as I strive to return to Him.

My daughter, Taylor, spent a month in the hospital, struggling to recover from her near drowning. While I was with her, I asked her doctor about a lump that I found in my neck. The next day I was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, a form of cancer. When I heard the word cancer just two weeks after losing half of my family, a rush of thoughts ran through my head. Instantly, I thought this was good news! I would get to die and be with my husband and girls. Then, in the next split second I realized, “Wait, I can’t die, I have two little girls depending on me.” At that moment I panicked wondering how I was going to deal with all of this alone. I left my radiologists office full of fear and doubt and went back to Taylor’s hospital room. As I walked into her room and saw her lying in her bed, a calming sense of peace came over me as I considered the Miracle I had witnessed in her. In those few moments I realized that I am not alone. My family is with me always and the Lord is with me. Once I realized this, I was filled with determination and strength and my final thought was “Bring it on!”

Although I was experiencing great trial and sorrow, He did not leave me alone to endure the unimaginable pain that I was filled with. I had a choice to make. I could be bitter and angry, or become better and sanctified. Through the grace of our loving Savior and Heavenly Father I choose correctly. No matter what the trial is, I know He is there. I have learned so many priceless lessons from the challenges I have been blessed with. I am far stronger and more resilient than I ever thought I could be. I have learned to let go of the attempt to control my life and accept what the Lord wants me to do. When I let go of anger or blame, I can see the love of the Savior in my life and it lifts me up. It is then that I recognize the many tender mercies He continues to bless me with.

Ultimately, I know that all of this has a sweet purpose. It is my job to find that purpose and fulfill my mission here in this life. I want to turn the tragedy into triumph. I want my children to look at my life and be proud of what I have become and accomplished. It gives me hope and the strength to endure to think that my life has meaning and that through my trials I might be able to help others. I find peace in knowing that “Sunday will come” and that I will again be reunited with my family. After all, isn’t that our ultimate purpose? Life is Sweet. Each of us has a sweet purpose. Through our faith we can fulfill that purpose… no matter what!



6 comments:

Marcy M Miller said...

Wow, she is amazing. Those are some big trials, and she has faced them head on and strong. What an example. I always wonder what kind of trials or things I'm going to have to face and if I will be able to handle them, I sure hope I can handle them with the courage she has.

Zoey said...

Stories like that are so inspiring! I'm sure it was amazing to hear it in person. Thank you for sharing such a great message!

ranceandtessa said...

Very inspiring! Thanks Erica.

Unknown said...

Wow!! What a woman! That made me all teary! I need to go to one of those! I'm glad you had a good time! Miss you guys!

Johnson's said...

Man, you hear stories like that and it really makes you think about yourself, and your strengths and weaknesses. Yes, this women is amazing. I pray I never have to face trials that devistating, but if I do, I pray I could be strong enough. Thanks for sharing that.

BAja said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/9-penyebab-mobil-boros-bensin