Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

Usually I write up several Resolutions and (as Ty would say) set expectations for myself perhaps too high so this year I have decided on one New Year's Resolution (although it actually emcompasses a couple all in one-tricky me).

I have always been a person that enjoys structure and organization (learned of course from my dear mother). I remember at the beginning of each school year we'd create and write down our own daily routines so we knew who was getting up when, when family scripture study would work best, etc. This became really helpful especially by high school age when I was so busy. Anyway, I've always had a daily routine - my kids typically get their meals at the same time every day, they take naps at the same time every day, and they go to bed at the same time most every day - but the routine isn't always written down. My New Year's Resolution is to write a daily routine (which I've actually already done) and stick to the daily routine I've created for myself because it will allow me to do so much more with my time. For example, by carefully planning my day I've provided myself with time to: 1)exercise (this is where my other mini-resolutions come in) - which I haven't done since I had Vanna (I know, shame on me); 2)have school time with Cash - my friend Cami sets a particular time of every day aside to teach her kids things similar to that they'd learn in pre-school and I think that would be brilliant for Cash; and 3)have personal scripture study/recreational reading time. Those three things are all things I've desparetly needed and wanted to do for a long time. Hopefully with the new Resolution I can pull it off. Wish me luck!

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, my other resolution: to get Cash potty trained. I'm not looking forward to the process but definitely looking forward to the end result. Anyone have any pointers - I'm all ears!

8 comments:

Amy S said...

Good for you. A little time for yourself is always needed. I need to do all those things too, having time to read would be wonderful. I am still adjusting to having two kids at home. Glad to hear everything is good with your family, I love reading about your adventures! It seems like Kallon and Cash are pretty similar!:) I think they would be a riot together!

Trenton & Maren said...

Sounds like a good plan!

Suzie-Q said...

Good luck with your new years plan. I haven't even set any for me I just can't think about it until things get back to normal from our holiday break.

Marcy M Miller said...

Those are good resolutions, mine are pretty similar, exercise everday, and have play time with each girl each day. Good Luck on the potty training, Hallee trained herself, so I really don't have any pointers. But everytime she did go potty she got a popsicle or a capri sun, so with more fluid intake she had to go more, which help really get it down.

Dixie Bazil said...

Those are wonderful resolutions. Mine are similar. We have been talking alot at church about the benefits of writing things down. I think that is a good tip that would help me. Potty training-I think you should wait till he's ready. Try and if its a fight, wait and try again next week. Like Hallee, when Trustin was ready, I showed him and after that he needed reminders but he would go. Also you could try putting fruit loops in the toilet and see if he'll aim for them. Good luck, don't get discouraged, Trustin was after 3 before he got it, but we have no accidents now and it was way worth waiting till he was ready. Any questions, call me.

Cami Jo said...

Good ideas Erica. I also have to have a routine or I don't get things done...(like scriptures, exercise and school witht the kids!) I find when I have a specific time for all of that, I'm much more likely to get it all accomplished. Good ideas. I hope it goes well for you.

As for the potty training thing, Kenzie has been showing a lot of interest lately, so starting next Monday, we are starting with her. I'm a big fan of using REAL underwear, instead of pull-ups because they can really feel the difference when they have a mistake. Also, I used rewards. A small marshmallow when they went potty, and a big marshmallow when they went stinky. I think anything they really like will help motivate them. Some kids like stickers, pretzels, etc. My kids LOVE marshmallows, so that has seemed to work well for us. Good luck though. Just remember every kid is different. Just be patient!!! (And...don't plan on leaving the house for awhile!!!)

Melinda said...

Shoot me an email, I have an entire e-book that I bought about potty training that was both helpful and entertaining to read. Go to my blog and click on "Write to me!" and my email will come up. Then I can send it to you in an attachment. 'They' always say to schedule time for things or they won't happen, I think writing things out will help too. Good luck!

Johnson's said...

I used to have a daily routine written down. Certain days I would clean certain things. So on and so forth. It was fabulous. However, time or lack of, kids, work, and other obligations have interrupted that. I really need to get back to it. Good luck. Keep us posted.